Prime of Life
PUBLIC SCHOOL EXPERIENCE:
Bruce Grip taught mathematics, peer counseling and computer programming to high school students during 30 of his 37 years in California public education. The other seven years he worked as a TOSA to provide support for new high school teachers in all subject areas (English, Social Studies, Science, Art, Dance, Foreign Language, Math, Wood and Auto Shop, Journalism, Music and Band, P.E. and Special Education). Four of the 30 years as a teacher were as an alternative education math teacher.
He retired from public school teaching in 2014 but continues his involvement in mathematics education as a field faculty advisor for new teachers, a CA Math Festival presenter, a conference presenter and a volunteer with the California Math Council.
RELATED PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE
Additional teaching experience includes eight years teaching mathematics part-time at a community college, various summers working with the Harvey Mudd MESA program and the UCR Summer Enrichment Program for students.
Several years providing summer institute experiences for teachers through CSUSB, Inland Counties Mathematics Project, Riverside COE and Life Long Learning.
FORMAL POST-SECONDARY EDUCATION
• B.S. Mathematics, Cal Poly University, Pomona, 1976
• M.S. Counseling, Cal State Fullerton, 1983
California Mathematics Council
• President-elect (2020 - 2021)
• Treasurer (2016 - 2019)
California Mathematics Council - Southern Section
• Vice-president and Conference Chair (2009 - 2013)
• Program Committee Chair (2005 - 2008)
• Conference Volunteer (Meeting Rooms, Hotels, Featured Speakers) (Since 2001)
Riverside San Bernardino Counties Mathematics Teacher's Association
• Vice-president (2009 - 2019)
• Co-president (2001 - 2005)
NOTABLE PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCES
• Member of the writing and revision team for the NSF-sponsored high school curriculum reform project, ARISE (Applications Reform in Secondary Education) directed by COMAP (Consortium for Mathematics and Its Applications) later published as Mathematics: Modeling Our World, an integrated three-year high school modeling-based mathematics curriculum. (1993 - 1996)
• Member of the CA Mathematics Framework Revision Committee, 2012 - 2013.
• Member of the CA Academic Content and Standards Commission, 2010.
• Member of nine WASC accreditation visiting committees. (1998 - 2016)
• California Mathematics Council (CMC)
• National Council Teachers of Mathematics (NCTM)
• National Council Supervisors of Mathematics (NCSM)
• TODOS, Mathematics for All
* Benjamin Banneker Association
• California Teachers' Association Retired
• Inland Empire Math Council (formerly Riverside San Bernardino Mathematics Teachers' Association or RSBCMTA)
• Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development (ASCD)
• Married to wife, Karen, since 1976
• Three adult children, four grandchildren.
• Christian and follower of Jesus
• Enjoy all activities with grandkids, playing basketball, going to the beach, riding bicycles, camping, traveling, and creating math activities connected to life.